Thursday, February 19, 2015

DIY: Fun with Tiny Animals

Remember those tiny plastic animals you used to play with as a kid? They would come in those skinny tubes- all sorts of farm animals, or exotic...even dinosaurs! I absolutely loved those little guys. They provided endless hours of entertainment in my childhood.

Well it turns out you can still have fun with them as an adult! Pinterest has been blowing up with fun DIY projects using these little toys, and it caught my eye. I splurged and bought a GIANT tube of farm animals at Target. Yesterday, after spending 2 days in because of the snow, I decided to get a little creative and do some DIY with these animals. I ended up making myself a ring dish (Mikie, sadly, broke our bathroom ring dish last week, so I needed a replacement) and I dressed up a couple of picture frames. I'm really excited with the outcome...it's got me hooked to tiny animal crafts!


For the ring dish I started with a plain candle dish from Ikea. I painted it a nice pale shade of blue, and set it aside to dry. Next I painted my animal of choice (I used a duck!) and set it aside to dry. Once everything was dry I used a tiny amount of Gorilla Glue to attach the duck. Technically you are supposed to hold down the item for about 30 minutes, but since it was new paint I didn't want to risk smudging it. I let it sit for a couple of hours and it dried just fine!


The finished product came out perfect!!


Next I took two plain picture frames from Ikea- put a couple of wedding photos in them (awwwww). I painted a few animals a neat shade of blue, and attached them the same way. They came out really cute!!

(sorry for the terrible photo...I meant to snap a better one!)

These two crafts were SUPER easy, but there's a few more things I want to make with these tiny animals. Stay posted and happy DIYing!! 

xoxo  Kate 



No comments:

Post a Comment