Monday, February 9, 2015

Freshly Baked: Curious Traveler Apple Muffins

First off, I should introduce myself.

My name is Kate, and I am part of this crazy awesome team of crazy awesome and talented girls that simply want to make money doing fun things they love. In a nutshell.

Mostly I bake. I do some other things too, like the website stuff, but my first love is baking. Hannah & I have been trying to get our baking business off the ground for a while (mostly we've been planning it and dreaming of it), and I hope that this finally sticks.

Mostly I like to bake "healthier" things, alternatives to the typical heart attack inducing, fattening, delicious baked goods that your grandma makes. Don't get me wrong, those are pretty tasty. I've just always strived for the healthier. That way you can eat loads of sweets every day and not feel quite so bad about it. I've also developed stomach issues in the past year, so eating less fat and dairy is necessary.

Baking healthy has not always been easy. In fact, it's never easy. You never really know how things are going to turn out. I've made some pretty horrible things. I've thrown away plenty of batter, and had countless kitchen floor meltdowns. In the end it's all worth it, when you learn and you start to use the right substitutes. The very best part is when you bake something for the butter/egg/cream consuming person...and they actually like it, love it even! That makes it all worth it.

Today is snowed, again. I currently work as an Office Administrator at a private daycare center, which means: another snow day. Three weeks in a row now, we've had a snow day. I welcome them with open arms- an opportunity to clean the house, catch up on reading, and bake (and have time to clean the dishes, too!). Today I decided to make cupcakes...only to discover as they were cooling that I don't have any powdered sugar or any other ingredients to make frosting. (insert kitchen meltdown here) That's the great thing about cupcakes...they can very quickly become muffins!!

I based my muffins off of this recipe on Pinterest. Like all recipes I ever follow, I changed it to make it my own. Usually this happens in an effort to turn the recipe healthy...or because I don't have all the right ingredients. Heehee... Either way they came out pretty good. Not very sweet, but with a lovely apple-cinnamon flavor that is perfect heated up with a bit of earth balance or honey. Happy baking! I hope this recipe keeps you warm if you are also stuck in the snow!




Curious Traveler Apple Muffins

What's Inside: 

1/2 cup of earth balance, softened 
1/2 cup of vanilla greek yogurt 
1 1/3 cup of coconut sugar
2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Egg replacer for 3 eggs (I use Bob's Red Mill)
2 Apples- peeled and shredded
1 cup Curious Traveler Apple Ale
2 tsp. cinnamon 
1/2 tsp. nutmeg 
2 tsp. vanilla 

What I Did: 

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

2. In your kitchen aid, beat the earth balance, yogurt and sugar until creamy. Add the egg replacer until well combined. 

3. Add in the dry ingredients. You might have to mix the last bit by hand- the batter gets rather thick and dry. Add the vanilla, turn the kitchen aid back on, and slowly add in the ale. The batter will get nice and creamy. Fold in the shredded apples. 

4. Using an ice cream scoop (totally the perfect size!), fill up your cupcake liners with the batter. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the muffins are firm and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. 

5. From here it's up to you if they stay muffins or turn into cupcakes, but either way store in an airtight container for a few days. 

Enjoy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment